The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced major successes in the ongoing joint counterterrorism operations between the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the United States Africa Command against ISIS-linked terrorists in Nigeria’s North-East region.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, the military disclosed that no fewer than 175 ISIS terrorists had been eliminated as of May 19, 2026, following coordinated joint air and ground strikes launched a few days earlier.
According to the DHQ, the operations inflicted what it described as a “devastating blow” on terrorist networks operating within the region, with several strategic targets destroyed during the offensive.
The military said the strikes led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.
Among those reportedly neutralised during the operations was Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described by the DHQ as one of the most significant ISIS operatives globally.
The statement noted that al-Minuki played a critical role in coordinating ISIS external operations, including terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics and attack planning targeting Nigerians and civilians across different parts of the world.
According to the military, his elimination has severely disrupted ISIS command structures, operational coordination and external attack networks.
The DHQ further revealed that other senior terrorist commanders killed in the strikes include Abd-al Wahhab, identified as an ISWAP leader responsible for coordinating attacks and propaganda dissemination; Abu Musa al-Mangawi, another senior ISWAP operative; and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, said to be a senior member of the group’s media production team and a close associate of al-Minuki.
The Defence Headquarters stated that the successful operations further reinforced the long-standing commitment of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to relentlessly pursue and eliminate terrorists wherever they operate within the country.
“The joint operations will continue to hunt down and destroy those who threaten our nation and regional stability,” the statement added.
The latest operation underscores the growing security cooperation between Nigeria and the United States in ongoing efforts to degrade terrorist capabilities in the Lake Chad region and restore stability across the North-East.
Credit, except Headline: Security Digest.

